Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ok....so cioppino.  Didn't go so good.  I went to Supreme Lobster (about half an hour each way) to get my seafood. I spent about $25 on the seafood.  Clams (in the shell and strips), mussels, squid, med shrimp, cod, and bay scallops.  I followed Rachel Ray's recipe.  But, of course, I made a couple of changes.  I think that was part of the problem.  I should have added 2 cans of tomatoes and not one.  I also should have scrubbed the shells...there was grit.  Grit is gross.

Here is the recipe....and I added my changes.  I also have pictures of the steps to make this.  I will try it again sometime.....

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup (3 turns around the pan in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 to 3 flat fillets of anchovies, drained
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 cup good quality dry white wine
  • 1 cup clam juice
  • 1 (14-ounce) container chicken stock
  • 1 (32-ounce) can chunky style crushed tomatoes (next time I will use 2 cans)
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 pounds cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
  • Salt and pepper
  • 8 med shrimp, peel and devein
  • 1/4 lb bay scallops
  • 16 to 20 raw mussels, scrubbed
  • 10 clams
  • 1/4 lb raw clam strips
  • 3 squid tubes - cut into smaller circles
  • A loaf of fresh, crusty bread, for mopping

Directions

In a large pot over moderate heat combine oil, crushed pepper, anchovies, garlic, thyme leaves and bay. Let anchovies melt into oil. The anchovies act as a natural salt, the pepper flakes will infuse the oil, providing heat.
Chop celery and onion near stove and add to the pot as you work. Saute vegetables for a few minutes to begin to soften and add wine to the pot. Reduce wine a minute, then add chicken stock,clam juice and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to medium low.
Season fish chunks with salt and pepper. Add fish and clams and simmer 5 minutes, giving the pot a shake now and then. Do not stir your soup with a spoon after the addition of fish or you will break it up. Add shrimp, clam strips, scallops, squid, mussels and cover pot. Cook 10 minutes, giving the pot a good shake now and again.
Remove the lid and discard any mussels or clams that do not open. Carefully ladle stew into shallow bowls and pass bread at the table.
The anchovies just melt away into the oil.

I wish these screens could be a scratch and sniff.  WOW!!!

Now the tomatoes, chicken stock, clam juice and white wine are added.

Clams and fish added.

Finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment