Here is the recipe....and I added my changes. I also have pictures of the steps to make this. I will try it again sometime.....
- 1/4 cup (3 turns around the pan in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 flat fillets of anchovies, drained
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup good quality dry white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 (14-ounce) container chicken stock
- 1 (32-ounce) can chunky style crushed tomatoes (next time I will use 2 cans)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 pounds cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 8 med shrimp, peel and devein
- 1/4 lb bay scallops
- 16 to 20 raw mussels, scrubbed
- 10 clams
- 1/4 lb raw clam strips
- 3 squid tubes - cut into smaller circles
- A loaf of fresh, crusty bread, for mopping
In a large pot over moderate heat combine oil, crushed pepper, anchovies, garlic, thyme leaves and bay. Let anchovies melt into oil. The anchovies act as a natural salt, the pepper flakes will infuse the oil, providing heat.
Chop celery and onion near stove and add to the pot as you work. Saute vegetables for a few minutes to begin to soften and add wine to the pot. Reduce wine a minute, then add chicken stock,clam juice and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to medium low.
Season fish chunks with salt and pepper. Add fish and clams and simmer 5 minutes, giving the pot a shake now and then. Do not stir your soup with a spoon after the addition of fish or you will break it up. Add shrimp, clam strips, scallops, squid, mussels and cover pot. Cook 10 minutes, giving the pot a good shake now and again.
Remove the lid and discard any mussels or clams that do not open. Carefully ladle stew into shallow bowls and pass bread at the table.
|The anchovies just melt away into the oil.|
|I wish these screens could be a scratch and sniff. WOW!!!|
|Now the tomatoes, chicken stock, clam juice and white wine are added.|
|Clams and fish added.|