Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dinner - Quinoa Patties


Quinoa is my new favorite ingredient.  I have learned quite a lot about this grain.
"Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is considered to be a “whole grain” but it is actually the seed of a plant that is a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. It is an energy-rich food that delivers heaps of fibre and protein but very little fat and no gluten. The protein quinoa supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake. And because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous, this grain may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis." From Wikipedia

Here is a recipe that I have modified.  I am not sure where I got the recipe from, but I changed the original quite a bit.


2 rounded cp cooked quinoa  - cooled down from cooking (see the box/bag of your quinoa for instructions how to make it)
3/4 cp shredded cheddar cheese (or any other cheese you prefer)
1/2 cp fat free cottage cheese
1/2 cp shredded carrot (I got it from the salad bar)
1/2 cp shredded zucchini - squeeze out the water once you have grated it
3 eggs
3 T flour
1/4 cp grated onion
1/2 t sugar (I used agave)
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t ground cumin
1/8 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder


Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl


In a non-stick pan with a thin layer of olive oil - medium heat.  To keep it into a patty, cooking it on medium is better than hotter.  This allows for the patty to set up before flipping it.  When I put the thicker patty into the pan - I flattened it out with my hand - to about 1/2-1/4" thick.


This makes about 10 patties.


I served it with greek plain, nonfat yogurt.  Even the kids loved these.  I put the extra ones in the fridge and they were great cold the next day. Easy, healthy snack.


 This was everything mixed together - and the pieces of cheese and cottage cheese were great left alone and not "mushed" into this mixture.
 Then form the patties and put them into the pan.
 Flatten them with your hand.  Do it quickly so they don't get too hot and not able to be touched easily.  I found if I tried a spatula to flatten it, the patty stuck to it and got pulled apart.
 Look how golden they getting...nice and crispy!!


These are such a great dinner, snack, and just plain great, delicious food.







No comments:

Post a Comment