Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Life - Brisket = My Nemisis

My husband's aunt read about my brisket issue.  She sent me this recipe and I thought I would share it with you.  It was from my husband's grandma, Mimi.


So here is Mimi's recipe as sent to me by his Aunt Elaine -

3-5 lb brisket with some fat on it (this is what tenderizes the meat)
2-3 onions sliced
Lemon pepper seasoning
Garlic powder
Lowry's seasoned salt
1/2 cup red wine (optional, but tasty)
Tight fitting covered pan

Slice onions into bottom of pan. Season heavily with above. Season both sides of meat HEAVILY. Place fat side  down. And place in preheated 350* oven for 20 minutes uncovered. Turn meat over so fat side is  up. 20 more minutes uncovered. Gently pour wine over and around meat, cover, turn temp to 325*. Bake for two hours or so. If you want to put in carrots and potatoes do it at this point. Season vegetables lightly, and baste with pan juices. Recover and bake another hour or hour and a half. Voila! Let cool slightly and slice across the grain.

Long slow cooking is key. Check the moisture while cooking. Don't let it go dry. Add water by half cupfuls. But if lid fits properly, this won't be problem.

Moisture comes from the bed of onions, retained in meat by layer of fat which also has a tenderizing effect. Trim away fat when you serve.


OK....so I know I haven't tasted this yet, but Mimi was never wrong and neither is Aunt Elaine, so this must be delicious. I vow to try this recipe sometime.  Just not right now.  My delicate foodie ego can't handle another brisket disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment