Thursday, February 2, 2012

 With the new year, I decided to try to live, eat and cook healthier.  Here are a couple of things I have been doing:
I am starting to compost.  This is my little bucket I am keeping on my counter.  I have been putting the scraps from the meals I make.  I have been cutting them up smaller before I put them in the bucket.  I also put in coffee grounds.  I will eventually put them in my large tumbling composter that I just bought.  I am hoping I will have enough compost to use in my new garden that I will be starting in the spring.

Here are composting tips my friend Kurt sent me to share on the blog:
"I recommend having 2 composters because at some point you have to stop adding material so it  can finish and turn into dirt ( this can take 6-8 weeks) That way you can still keep adding to one composter while the other one is finishing. There are 4 main variables-- browns/greens/ air and water. Any fresh or wet material is considered "green"( grass clippings/ weeds/ food - fruits and vegi scraps) and  anything dried like fallen leaves/straw is considered "brown". Equal amounts of browns and greens make the best mix ( doesn't have to be added at the same time.) Most people keep some "browns"   (straw or leaves)  around in summer to mix in.  You need to add a  little water when you add material to keep the compost moist in order to keep the metabolism going. Too little water- nothing happens, too much -- it will really stink. The organisms also require air so it is important to mix the compost once a week. I follow the "no animal ingredients formula -- no meat, dairy, or eggs--keeps the raccoons out and the smell is better."

He calls composting "It is a very doable urban agricultural activity".

Luckily, the composter I bought has two compartments to deal with the issue that Kurt brought up.  I will keep you all posted.  Any other comments on composting are very welcomed!
This is a beautiful bowl my friend Jodi made.  She has been making beautiful pottery "for fun" and loves doing it.  She gave me this bowl because it has a crack in it and can't hold liquids, but it is perfect for what I use it for.  I use the special  bowl to keep clementines out on the table.  The plan is that they will get eaten if it is in plain sight, nice and easy....or so I hope that will happen.  
See what this crazy weather is doing?!  My flowers are coming up. NOOOOO.....not yet!!!!!  What is going to happen when spring is really here.  This is yet another reason why we need to live better.  Plants should not be coming up in February!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment