Monday, May 21, 2012

My life - My right calf (and not a baby cow)

Hi - I haven't written in a long time.  This injury has really thrown me for a loop on a level I never expected.  Hold on and I'll let you into my little world......

As you saw from my previous post, I have a lovely boot.  I tore my right calf muscle doing absolutely nothing. The day after we came back (did you see the pictures from our trip?  Forever memories), I was sitting on our couch when I jumped up to close a gate into the kitchen.  It was then that it felt like a softball had smashed into my right calf.  I took myself to the doctor (my husband was leaving to travel).  My doctor said that I tore my calf and I was lucky it didn't tear any lower, or it would have also taken my achilles with it (ensuring surgery). I tried to go to work a few days later, but after an hour of standing I was in extreme pain.  I had to leave.  I hate nothing more than letting people down and leaving good people hanging - and that is what happened when I had to leave work for an unknown amount of time. I love the people I work with and I love my customers....and I had to leave them. Horrible feeling for me.....both my heart and leg hurt.

Stay off my leg.....yeah right.  HAHA - right - No pun intended!!  Luckily, I do crack myself up.

Anyways....I have a list of things I want to get done with this unexpected time.  This included some gardening.  I know, I know, keep of my leg, but the boot does help with gardening.  When I push on the spade with the boot, it does give me some extra depth in my dig.  Here is some of what I have been doing....

 These are two pots I planted.... oregano, mint, basil, dill and thyme.
Here is a raised vegetable bed I planted.  I always wanted a vegetable garden.  Here are tomatoes, brussel sprouts, peppers, okra and eggplant.

But, I have paid the price and I have trouble admitting it.  My leg has been very sore....I just have trouble staying in one spot and having people do things for me.  You know, I am the one who does for others.  I am SO grateful for my friends and family and doing for and with them is my way of showing my gratitude. And not being able to do.....or having to stop myself from doing has been very hard for me.  It makes me very sad to just sit here and not be at work and not be fully able.  But what I do I have to be sad about.....really.  I mean really! A torn calf with will heal?!?!

So here my friend is the hardest challenge for me. I am SO blessed and this is NOTHING in the big scheme of life, but it is SO difficult for me to keep it all in perspective. I knew that perspective is extremely important.......I must have needed a reminder about that.  Keep things in perspective!  Message heard......loud and clear!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love your garden, Bets! It's beautiful. Need to get my act together to do the same... it's getting late. Want to do pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete