Monday, October 15, 2012

Black bean soup and quesadillas

 Too bad you can't just reach out and taste this soup.  It is SOOOO good (and fast and healthy)!  I went to the salad bar and took a scoop and chopped onions, chopped celery and shredded carrots.  I sauteed these in a soup pan until they were all soft.  Didn't take long.....maybe 8 minutes.  Then I dumped one large can and one small can of black beans in there - along with some cumin (about 1t) and few shakes of ground chipolte pepper.  Let them all heat and and put in 2 cups of chicken stock (I had made some a few weeks back in my pressure cooker and portioned it out into plastic containers and froze them).  I didn't even bother to thaw it, just dumped in the froze lump.  Heated it all up again and then shooshed it with the stick blender.  I left it a bit lumpy this time.  I usually shoosh until it is smooth, but I wanted to try it this way.  We were split on the added texture.  Half of the family liked it lumpy and have liked it smoother.

I added some cheese and non-fat greek yogurt to mine.....for added treats and protein.
Our son made the quesadillas for the family.  He wanted to make sure I took a picture of this one particularly.....he liked how the cheese was oozing out.  I used non-fat flour tortillas that I found at work.  They tasted just as good as the full fat ones and I hope a bit better for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment