Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Dinner - Baked zitti

I made tomato sauce....very easy. 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes, 4 cans of tomato sauce, minced garlic, diced onions, and 6 cubes of basil (the Dorat frozen cubes, but you can just add dried basil). NO SUGAR needed when you make it yourself.  If you look at most marinara sauces you buy, they add sugar. Let it sit on the stove at a low level, stirring every so often.

I boiled whole wheat noodles for about 5 minutes - they are still slightly crunchy. It's a great time to sneak in whole wheat noodles.  With all the sauce, the kids don't know. In a sprayed baking dish, I stirred together the noodles and homemade sauce.  On the top, I put mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Quite a bit....this helps sell it to the family.  I baked it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes with a stop under the broiler for about 5 minutes.  Watch it closely when you put it in the broiler.  You don't want it to burn after all this.  But....if it does burn, just pull off the cheese and start again with the cheese.

Everyone loved it!!!  In fact I had extra and froze part of it and left the other half in the fridge.  The kids have been eating on it this week.  I'll let you know how the frozen portion goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment