Thursday, January 10, 2013

Spaghetti squash - try it, you'll like it!!

So, you've heard of it....fear it....try it, you'll love it! One promise, it won't taste like spaghetti.  But it is stringy.  The flavor is mild and slightly squashy. I added some salt, pepper and a touch of butter.  You can eat it plain, with shredded parmesan, with tomato sauce.....whatever works for you.  Experiment....you'll (and your kids!) will love it!

All you need to do is poke it all over with a fork.  Then microwave it (whole) for about 12 minutes. You want it to be squeezable....then it's done.  I had told one of my co workers how to make it and she said it felt like forever and she was worried it wasn't working. At 10 minutes, it was still hard.  All of a sudden - a few minutes later - it's soft. She loved it and you will too. Once it is soft, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds and the darker threads (trust me, you'll see it).  Then just take a spoon and scoop out the inside of the half.  It just shreds on its own - as you see above.

I made it the other night with pork chops.  It goes well with any entree, but I like the kind of winter feeling of this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment