Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Chanukah!  It started tonight with the lighting of the candles on the menorah and for me....the making of potato latkes (potato pancakes).  The significance to this food is the reference to the oil used in making the latkes.  The story of Chanukah has to do with the small amount of oil for the eternal light that was left in a temple that had been destroyed - enough oil for only 1 day, but by a miracle the oil lasted for 8 days.  The 8 days was long enough to bring more oil to keep the eternal light burning.  Hence the oil for the latkes.
I bought Simply Potatoes - already shredded potatoes that I bought in the refrigerated section.  And they were on sale.  I had 2 bags of shredded potatoes, 1/2 a large sweet onion (that I grated), 2 eggs, and 1/4 cup flour.  I mixed it up using my hands.  I then made it into pancakes and fried them.  I didn't use much oil - and they were delicious.  As you can see, we like it with sour cream.  Some people like it with apple sauce.

Happy Chanukah and to those that don't celebrate it - still enjoy the goodness of the latkes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment