Thursday, January 19, 2012

I relived Thanksgiving last night.  I bought a cooked turkey breast from work, made butternut squash soup and cranberry sauce.  It was all so good together.  You can't beat a classic meal!

The turkey breast from work was delicious.  Very juicy and you can't get easier than just buying something totally made and warm.

I had never made cranberry sauce before.  It was SOO easy.  I put 1 cup of water with about 1/4 cup of agave nectar in a pan.  Heated it up so that the agave dissolved into the water.  Then just put the cranberries into the pan.  Leave the heat on and stir every so often.  You actually do hear the berries pop.  I had read that, but it is true.  Mush it as you stir it.  Turn off the stove once all the cranberries have popped and are soft. Once the heat is off, it just gets thicker....just like that. Like magic!
 For the butternut squash soup, I bought already peeled and chunked squash (from Trader Joe's, but alot of grocery stores have it like this already.  While I am cooking the other vegis, I put the squash into the 400 degree oven to roast.  Turn them every so often so it gets throughly cooked.
 To the soup pan, while the squash is roasting, I put in 1 cup each of carrots, onions and celery.  I also added 1 cup of chopped apple - peeled.  I used honey crisp apples since that it what I had.  I browned all those together in the pan.  I added in the squash once it was all soft.  Add in one container of chicken stock, 1T agave nectar, and 1T apple cider vinegar, along with some salt and pepper.  Then shoosh it with a stick blender.  It can also be put into a blender.
The soup was great with the homemade cranberry sauce added in.  What a treat on a cold day!  And who doesn't love Thanksgiving supper??  Every November when I am eating the special dinner, I say to myself, why do I only eat this combo once a year?  No longer!!

1 comment:

  1. The author of this blog is my favorite cashier at the grocery store she works at. I always go to her line, even if it's the longest, so we can talk about food. I can attest, she is a real foodie! This butternut squash soup looks so good I just shared it with the followers of my facebook page as well. Nice blog and great looking recipes here!

    ReplyDelete