Sunday, February 5, 2012

I have never made short ribs.  I keep seeing customers buying short ribs.  They are very affordable.  When I ask them how they make it, most of them say braised.  I have never done this technique before.  I looked online to Food Network and found the recipe with the highest rates.  It was by Anne Burrell.  Here is her recipe for Braised Short Ribs - and below I added my pictures and comments.

Ingredients

  • 6 bone-in short ribs (about 5 3/4 pounds)
  • Kosher salt
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I didn't have this.  I forgot to buy them)
  • 2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato paste (this is just shy of a 18 ounce can of paste)
  • 2 to 3 cups hearty red wine (Cabernet sauvingnon)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 bunch fresh thyme, tied with kitchen string
  • 2 bay leaves

Directions

Season each short rib generously with salt. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. (Per the advice of our butcher at work - I set my oven to 350 degrees)
While the short ribs are browning, puree all the vegetables and garlic in the food processor until it forms a coarse paste. When the short ribs are very brown on all sides, remove them from the pan. Drain the fat, coat the bottom of same pan with fresh oil and add the pureed vegetables. Season the vegetables generously with salt and brown until they are very dark and a crud has formed on the bottom of the pan, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape the crud and let it reform. Scrape the crud again and add the tomato paste. Brown the tomato paste for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat if things start to burn. Reduce the mixture by half.
Return the short ribs to the pan and add 2 cups water or until the water has just about covered the meat. Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Cover the pan and place in the preheated oven for 3 hours. Check periodically during the cooking process and add more water, if needed. Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time. Remove the lid during the last 20 minutes of cooking to let things get nice and brown and to let the sauce reduce. When done the meat should be very tender but not falling apart. Serve with the braising liquid.
See how brown the ribs are getting. I kept turning it to try to get all sides browned. I sprinkled kosher salt all over the pieces before I put them in the pan. The house smells SO good already!!!
Here is the pureed vegis browning. The color gets less bright - more brown. You can see see crusty bits in here. And it smells delicious!!!
After browning the vegis, adding tomato paste, adding the wine, reducing it, I added in the browned pieces of meat
After adding the meat, I added the 2.5 cups of water and added in the bay leaves and thyme.  I put the cover on it and put it in the oven.  
Here is a piece with the sauce over it....yummy looking right???
Here is the finished product.  Look how beautiful and brown these pieces are!
This picture captures the problem my family had with this....the texture.  This is exactly what it is supposed to be like....but no one liked the "stringy" texture.  In fact (GULP) I ended up throwing away most of this dish.  It killed me....hours to make and cook, besides the money....all gone and not liked.  Ouch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment