Monday, August 27, 2012

Restaurant Review- Cafe Ba Ba Reba and Annette's Italian Ice - Chicago, IL

We had a great Saturday night out at Cafe Ba Ba Reba in Chicago.  I haven't been there since I was in my 20's and it is now owned by Lettuce Entertain You, which made me a bit skeptical of the quality food and service we were going to have.  But we had a wonderful meal. I had made a reservation through Open Table. In fact, I have booked so many reservations through Open Table that I earned a $20 check to spend at any Open Table restaurant.  We were pleasantly surprised at our final bill as well.  It was about $35 per person - including the drinks. Not bad at all for the fun food and night we had.

We got very lucky when we got there because a parking spot opened up right in front of the restaurant.   If we didn't get that, we may have had to valet for $11.

When we went in, I asked if we could get seated in the porch area, which luckily there was a table. We just ordered a bunch of dishes - about 2-3 each plus a paella that we all shared.
This is their raspberry sangria.  It was great!  Scott and I split a half pitcher, which was the perfect amount for 2 people to share.
This dish was on their specials list.  It was green olives stuffed with goat cheese with a garlic aoili.  It was not so good.  The strong flavor of the green olives overtook all other flavors.
This was one of the table's favorite dished.  This was shrimp with garlic and olive oil.  It had a lot of slivers of garlic and was so tasty.  Anything with garlic is good if you ask me.
This was another table favorite.  This is a beef empanada.  Crispy, flaky with very well seasoned beef inside.  We ordered a chicken one too, but everyone liked the beef one better.
This is the seafood paella we ordered.  We ordered it only for 2 people and look how huge it was.  It came to the table like this.
Once he portioned out the shrimp, he scraped the rice off the pan and served it.
This was my plate.  It was amazing.  It had a wonderful crunch to the rice and SO much flavor.  I must try to make paella myself.
These scallops were perfectly cooked, melt in your mouth fresh.  And there were bits of bacon along with herbs.  Great dish.
This picture was horrible, but this was also one of the favorite dishes of the table.  It was short ribs with this amazing spice and sweet sauce. We also ordered the salmon, but I was told that it had no flavor.  I didn't even bother to try it.
After our dinner at Cafe Ba Ba Reba, we walked around the corner to Annette's Italian Ice.  It was amazing!  I found it on Yelp when looking for a place near us that served only dessert.  What a great find!  There is only a window, no inside location.  There were seats outside that we hung at while we enjoyed our ices.

No comments:

Post a Comment