Saturday, February 25, 2012

Restaurant reviews - La Casa De Isaac - Highland Park, IL and Frost - Highland Park, IL

We went to La Casa De Issac with friends the other night, but we almost had a problem.  I had made a reservation through Open Table (I use this website often - even have an app for it on my phone), but when we got there for our 6p reservation, they told me I had made a reservation for their other restaurant location and not the one we were at.  Luckily, they opened at 6p (right when we got there), so there were tables for 4 available.  Very lucky indeed, because the restaurant was full within the next 20 minutes, which wasn't that hard because it is a very small place.  This size can cause an issue.  Tables were very close together and it got quite loud in there, but we were having so much fun together, everything else drowned out.

There were chips and salsa already at the table and it was delicious!  The salsa was not too spicy, not too onoin-y, not too cilantro-y....just right (said Goldilocks).  We ordered guacamole and a pitcher their premium margarita.  Both were fantastic. The guac was somewhat chunky - which was great.  The flavor was spot on.  And the margarita....smooth and easy.  Need I say more!?!?
Here's my smooth margarita....I asked for extra salt - and they delivered.  Mucho bueno!!
This was a special dish they had.  It is call a Molkajete.  It comes in a heated lava rock bowl.  I don't know if you can tell, but this is boiling at the table and remained bubbling for quite awhile.  It was made of black bean, cheese, onion, chorizo, and grilled cactus (see it hanging off of the side near the top of the photo?).  They serve it with tortillas, your choice - soft corn or soft flour.  This could have easily been shared. 
Here is what I had made.  I love grilled cactus.  Don't hesitate eating cactus...it has a slighty sweet, yet tangy flavor to it with a texture that has a bite to it...kind of al dente.
These were ahi tuna tacos with red cabbage slaw and mango salsa.  It was served on homemade purple tortillas - I agree - they looked green to me too!  This was delicious - nice and light dish. Sweet, crunchy....all great flavors.  A nice compliment to the heavier Molkajete.
Here is the dessert we got at Frost.  This is a new gelato place  place that opened up in downtown Highland Park.  SOOOO delicious and a great way to end our great dinner.  I had a banana and dark chocolate cup. The banana had a full on banana flavor and the dark chocolate was not too sweet (in typical dark chocolate fashion) with bits of dark chocolate chips in it.  The perfect yin-yang dessert!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment