Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dinner - Salmon and curried cauliflower

I made a grilled salmon that I had made before and a curried cauliflower recipe I saw on the Today show.

The grilled salmon I have made before, but this is the first time I have put the recipe here.  I bought 2 pieces of salmon.  For this, I put 1/4 cups of low sodium soy sauce, 2 T honey and 1/4 inch of wasabi paste.  I mush those all together in a large plastic bag so they are all incorporated together.  Add the salmon and let it marinade for about 6 hours in the fridge.  I have marinaded it up to 9 hours.  I take it out of the fridge about half an hour before I grill it to get the temperature throughout the fish as even as possible. When I grill it, I put the grill up as high as possible.  I spray the skin side with Pam and put the piece skin side down first.  After about 5 minutes, I spray the meat side with Pam and turn it over onto the heat. I cook it another 8 minutes or so.  The times really depend on the thickness of the meat.  You want it to be able to pull away from itself, but not break away (too dry/well done)...and not rip away (too moist/rare).  I know....fine line here, but you will get it once you have cooked salmon.




Here is the cauliflower recipe I used....

Recipe: Curried cauliflower "En Papillote"


Ingredients
  • 1 head white cauliflower, leaves removed and stem trimmed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon madras curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon of softened butter
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • Salt
  • White pepper
Preparation
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Take a large piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper 24" x 24".  Place the head of cauliflower on 1 half of the foil or paper. Season the cauliflower with salt and pepper and sprinkle the curry powder evenly over the cauliflower. Next, spread the butter evenly over the top of cauliflower. Fold the other half of the foil or paper over the cauliflower. Starting from a corner of the folded half, begin to fold the edges of the foil or paper in order to "seal" the cauliflower inside. Before making the final fold, pour the water inside the foil or paper and complete the last fold. Place the cauliflower onto a baking tray and roast for 30-40 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender. Remove from the foil and serve warm.

Once the curry, salt, pepper and butter have been put on the head, fold the foil around it.  Don't forget to add the water right before it is all sealed.
Here's where I had a problem.  The foil kept ripping and I had to wrap it a few times until I finally had one that didn't rip - and I was using "heavy duty" foil. I think parchment paper would have been better.
Done.  I didn't use the full amount of curry powder.  I thought it would have been too much....wrong.  Next time, I will use the full amount recommended in the recipe.  Otherwise, tasty and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment