Friday, March 2, 2012

Restaurant review - Fleming's Steak House Lincolnshire, IL

We had a gift certificate to Flemings for $100 so we went there for dinner.  I had been there one time before and the only memory I have of that dinner was how loud the restaurant was.  But having the gift certificate gave us reason to go back.

Walking in there was a sign $6 by 7p - certain drinks were only $6 up to 7p. We got there at 6:45, so we ordered a tropical martini and a pomtini.  The tropical drink was our favorite...made with Malibu coconut run.  I spill some of our pomtini, so our waiter brought us another Tropical for no charge (since he knew we liked that one better).  Nice touch.  I do have to say though, as the consumer of most of those drinks, they were very weak.  I guess that's what you get when you pay $6 a drink.

Our waiter was great.  Very attentive and just the right amount of talkative.  But, one of our biggest gripes was the fact that our water glass was left empty WAY too often. It was not our waiter's fault since he doesn't handle that part of service, but that was a big problem.  When you are paying for a place like Fleming's, this should NEVER happen, especially repeatedly.
Our meal started with bread with some butters.  It would have been nice if the butters were explained to us.  I think one was vegi butter and one had chives.  The bread was nice and fresh and the butters yummy...what butter isn't great?!?
We ordered the calamari to share....
SWEET CHILE CALAMARI 
lightly breaded and tossed with sweet chile sauce
It was was delicious.  Tender calamari and the coating wasn't too thick.  The sauce was the right combo of sweet and spicy.  Good dish....
 I had the chilled seafood tower as my dinner.  This is an appetizer on the menu, but I tend to like apps more because they tend to be lighter.  I was disappointed in this dish.  It had on it shrimp, lobster, lump crab meat, ceviche, and crab legs.  The ceviche was tasty and reminds me I would like to try to make one some time.  It was the best thing on this "tower". The shrimp was a nice size.  The lobster was almost non-existent.  There was barely any meat in this tiny tail....poor lobster. You can barely see it in this picture because it was covered with parsley. Pitiful indeed. The lump crab meat was fine....not too much flavor.  And the crab legs were awful. Soggy and thin....not very appetizing.  And again with the non-purposeful parsley.  One of my dining pet peeves I guess...stupid waste of a plant. 
 We sat in a side area, so it was quieter than the main dining room. All in all....we won't be going back there.  Just not worth it for us.....

No comments:

Post a Comment