Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My recipe - Dark Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

What to do with the giant zucchini from my garden....zucchini bread.  I got a recipe from Food Network - Paula Deen's recipe for chocolate chip zucchini bread.  I made some changes, to make it a bit healthier.  With Paula's new health kick - I think she would approve of my changes.

Here is my version of Paula Deen's Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread - indicating the original recipe and my changes.  This recipe makes 2 loaves - I doubled it to make 4 loaves....but I left measurements here for 2 loaves.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • 1.5 cups white sugar (this was 2 cups of white sugar)
  • 1 cup apple sauce (this was 1 cup of vegetable oil)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini 
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips (this was semisweet chocolate chips)
I didn't do, but it was in the original recipe:
  • 1 cup chopped pecans 
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
  • Whipped cream, for serving
  • Zucchini ribbons, for serving

Directions

Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Grease (2) 9 by 5-inch loaf pans. (I used tin foil pans so I could give them away)
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar, and continue beating until well blended. Stir in apple sauce, vanilla, zucchini, and chocolate chips. Stir in sifted ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaves from pans and cool. Chill before slicing. (I ate it right away....who can wait when the kitchen smells SO good?!?)
 Here is the "raw" batter in a tin foil pan that I had buttered. Make sure that there is about 1 inch of space still in the pan.  I buttered the whole pan, so when it rised, it all would come out cleanly.
 In the oven - all pans lined up together.
 See how much is rises?  Here is the stick coming out cleaning - indicating it is ready to come out.
 Here is a close up of the finished loaf.  Isn't it pretty?  See the color?  Browns, golds, greens....so pretty!!
The finished piece.  Moist, not too sweet.....perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment