Sunday, February 12, 2012

We went again to Benedict La Strata in Crystal Lake, IL. This time we brought our kids.  Our daughter ordered the caramel hot chocolate.  She said this is the second best hot chocolate she has ever had - and she fancies herself a hot chocolate connoisseur (the best hot chocolate she has ever had was at Discovery Cove in Orlando, FL - not sure why this was SO great....but she swears by their hot chocolate). Our son had hot apple cider.  It was so fresh tasting and warmed you through and through. (By the way, since I have started this blog, everyone in our family is willing to share their food with me.  MAJOR bonus of this blog for me!)

I forced myself not to order the same dish I did last time (zucchini cakes with poached eggs). I ordered the cheese grits (I am a HUGE grits fan!) with anduoille sausage - and I added shrimp, an option on the menu.  It, surprisingly, didn't have much flavor - except when I got a piece of sausage.  I had to add pepper and salt....not a good sign. I won't be ordering this again.  The grits were smooth and the cheese made it stringy (I love melted cheese!), but still not much flavor. Oh well - cross this off the list.
Our son ordered "Ultimate Grilled Cheese" - cheddar and monterey cheese, tomato, bacon on sourdough bread.  This was definitely the winner of the day.  Crunchy, melty, salty, fabulous!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment