Sunday, April 8, 2012

Restaurant review - 2nd Street Bistro Highland Park, IL - 2ND REVIEW

We went with some friends to Second Street Bistro in Highland Park, IL.  We had been there before - and loved the food.  They had never been there. Our complaints the first time around were our water was frequently empty and the tables/chairs not being so comfortable.  Well...they definitely took care of the water issue - which was a pleasure!  We never needed more water and at our table that is not easy to do.  But, the chairs and table, still not so good.  Oh well.....worth it a bit discomfort, if you ask the four of us that night.  It is also a BYOB (which I mentioned before when I reviewed this restaurant, but it is worth mentioning again).  Saves A LOT of money and I think makes for a better experience because you know what wine you are drinking and not guessing what you will like from their choices.

Our waitress was great - she knew a lot about the food and was willing to give her opinions - which I appreciate. And she was spot on with her comments and recommendations.

I shared this with my husband.  The mussels were perfectly cooked.  Nice and tender.  The sauce had a nice level of spiciness to it = kept you wanting to eat more without dieing for a drink of water.
 This was a great, unique dish.  It was SO different and tasty.  Shaved raw brussel sprouts with a vinaigrette and golden raisins, with a parmessan crisp on the top.  It was like a ultra fine coleslaw (which makes sense since brussel sprouts are like mini cabbages).  I crumbled the crisp into the salad.  So the bitter of the brussel sprouts, with the acid of the dressing with the sweet raisins and crunch of the crisp creates total harmony.  I must try to make this at home.
This was my main dish. Roasted acorn squash with broccoli rabe and roasted cherry tomatoes on pureed cauliflower and smoked paprika oil.  Fresh and full of different textures and flavors.  And just look at it....you eat as much as your eye as your mouth and my eyes were as happy as my mouth with this one.  Really great dish - if you want an alternative to a meat.  Meals like this one make me SO excited for my garden!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment